Well it has been said before but it is true that a lot of people decide to look for a new job at the start of the New Year, but why not now?
December is not as quiet in recruitment as people might think. Switched on employers have been recruiting for
new hires for 2013 since October, knowing that with interview times to be scheduled and notices to be given
they need to have job offered by now. Having said that scheduling and co-ordinating diaries is never that easy and
so interviews will still be going on this month.
Certainly at AV Jobs we have plenty of excellent jobs on offer this month throughout the UK and even Canada! If you are keen to find a new and challenging role in the New Year then don’t wait until then – apply now – you could be celebrating a new opportunity at Christmas!
Hints for applying for a job.
Recruiters often get a bad press for turning down applicants and for not communicating with them to follow up their
CV. Whilst none of us are perfect, we do contact all applicants within 5-7 days even if they are not successful or right for the job they have applied for.
However, (and I know I have said this before!) you can help avoid the dreaded rejection letter/email by NOT doing the following:
Don’t apply for a job just because it’s in your area (I promise it happens all the time – AV Engineer required in Nottingham – CVs from hospital porters, shop assistants, welders and car mechanics – they just happen to live in Nottingham.)
Don’t apply for a job that you “think” you can do but don’t have the relevant experience. Sorry but people with the relevant experience will beat you to it everytime.
Don’t shoot the messenger! It’s in our interest to get you a job – that’s how we get paid – but if your CV is rejected it is because you don’t fit the spec our client is looking for and we are not in the business of punting out CVs to our hard won clients just to make the numbers up.
Before you apply for a role, read the job ad again and ask yourself why you would apply for it? Have you done that type of work before, are you good at it, is this the next step in your career (ie. you tick 80% of the boxes and have the potential to succeed at the other 20%), do you know the market (if it’s asked for), is it right for you geographically (easy to say you’ll move but have you really thought this through)?
I hope I’m not sounding patronising here – I really don’t mean to – but we want to get as many of our candidates into their ideal job as possible, so help yourself by getting the job profile right and we’ll help you get that dream job.